President and CEO
Role Type: Full-Time, Permanent
Reports To: Chairman of the Board
Supervises: PIJAC Canada Staff
Salary: $80k – $100k
About PIJAC Canada
The Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council of Canada (PIJAC) provides leadership and communication between all sectors of the pet industry. Our goal is to give member businesses the tools and support they need to be a successful and responsible pet business. We provide critical resources, training and growth opportunities to help their business thrive, and in turn, positively impact the lives of pets.
At PIJAC Canada we pride ourselves on taking a proactive approach supporting pet businesses and the advancement of animal care across Canada and around the world, through education, pet industry trade shows and foreign missions.
The welfare of animals is at our core and drives our efforts as an organization. We believe that animal welfare is everyone’s business from pet professionals to media, government and the public.
What we are looking for – The Right Fit
The ideal candidate will have a history of sustained success as a manager and are ready to apply your leadership, charisma and intelligence in a senior executive role. You have experience working with key stakeholders in the private and public sectors and are a confident communicator with the ability to influence and motivate those around you. You are familiar with the not-for-profit industry and are an innovative thinker who is comfortable directing the organization towards a strategic vision.
The President and CEO is responsible for the planning, implementation and execution of the organizational strategic direction, as set by the PIJAC Board of Directors (“Board”). This senior executive position reports to and is accountable to the Chairman, as well as to the Board, and carries the primary responsibility to achieve key objectives surrounding advocacy, finance, member services, policy, research, communications, and organizational operations and administration.
- Provides ongoing reinforcement of PIJAC Canada’s mission, vision and values through effective communication strategies
- Actively advocates on behalf of the organization and leads the organization’s strategic direction
- Implements an effective public relations strategy as chief spokesperson for the organization ensuring all programs and services are presented in a strong, trusted, and positive manner
- Fosters and builds upon PIJAC Canada’s reputation for leadership on issues related to the pet businesses and the wellbeing of Canada’s animals
- Drives organizational change through effective analysis of performance measurement standards and in collaboration with the Board
- Provides advice and support to the Board and its key committees in matters of administration, governance, By-laws, policy formulation and interpretation
- Responsible for upholding sound financial practices and provides oversight to ensure fiscal short and long-term integrity and stability of PIJAC Canada
- Promotes an organizational culture of partnerships and healthy work environment to attract and retain competent and qualified staff
- Delivers comprehensive quarterly financial statements related to operational financial status and viability to the Board
- Monitors the organizations non-profit status ensuring compliance with guidelines, and regulations
- Serves PIJAC Canada’s members by leading and inspiring staff to accomplish the organizations strategy
- University degree in Business, Marketing and/or Communications, or a suitable combination of education and experience
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience at management level, leading an organizations mission, vision and values
- 5 – 7 years’ experience in strategic planning, board governance and advocacy
- 3 – 5 years’ experience managing communication plans and media relations
- Knowledge of financial statements, budgeting processes and accounting procedures
- Fluently bilingual (French/English) in both written and oral communications
- Familiarity with the pet industry and related issues is a strong asset
- Knowledge and understanding of animal welfare, animal control, animal protection
- Education or experience in Animal Sciences, Human Resources, and/or Public Relations is an asset
- Experience in not-for-profit developing plans to secure funding is an asset
- Has and demonstrates passion for the mission
- Ability to lead and manage change
- Strong advocacy skills
- Visionary leader
- Intelligent judgement and decision-making skills
- Financial acumen
- Interpersonal savvy
If you feel this is the right position for you, you meet the qualifications, and you are excited about working in a member-focused environment, please email us a copy of your C.V. and cover letter explaining why you are inspired by this role. Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org – Closing date is March 2, 2018. The subject line of your email should quote the reference number PC0218.
While we would like to respond to all applicants, only those who are to be considered further will be contacted. tap Strategy & HR Consulting is leading this search on behalf of PIJAC – please do not contact PIJAC directly.
The Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council of Canada respects employment equity and values diversity and inclusion. If you require accessibility accommodation during this process – please let us know with an email to email@example.com and we will work with you to make sure your needs are met.